Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day 4: Already out of clever titles

I don't know if this is a cold or what but I had my 3rd nap in as many days today. I don't nap. I don't know how to get that across to my system but... Come on. I couldn't stay awake at my desk at work. Not good. It's cutting into my knitting time.

In other news, I somehow managed to not notice that the lid on my travel mug was open when I was coming home from work today and spilled the dregs of my coffee all over the passenger seat in my car. Of course I noticed this when I was driving down Deerfoot at about 100 km/hr (I say "about" so as not to implicate myself in a crime of any sort as the speed limit is 100 km/hr) so of course I couldn't do anything about it. Then when I got home I forgot about it in my haste to get to a nap, so now I'm sure my car smells like the inside of a coffee shop. On one hand, I love the smell of coffee... but... uh... it's all over my seat. so there's that.

Progress report:

Leftovers Blanket Day 4 progress
Day 4 saw the first round finished and the second round begun. I'm using navy for the second round (I know. exciting.).

Yarnhog (I don't know your real name.. sorry) asked in the comments about the squares so I thought I would talk about them. That'll give me something to write about! Yay!

For the squares I used a pattern from Vogue Knitting Fall 2007 (available online as a free pdf here). The pattern is actually for a jacket and pants, but um... jacket & pants from modular squares? not so much. It's pretty basic and once you get done one or two you can do them in your sleep.

As the name suggests, I used all the leftover sock yarn I had. I had been saving it with no real plan for it, and these squares seemed perfect. Each square was knit on US 3 needles and measures about 4 1/4 inches by 4 1/4 inches. (you know. like a square). I set each square on the diagonal to seam and knit half squares to finish the center section.

Leftovers Blanket Day 4 progress

The solid bands around the edges are knit in Patons Kroy Sock yarn that I picked up by the basket-full at Michaels once when it was on sale. Each band (so far that would be 1.1 rounds) is 12 stitches knit and knit onto the round before it. The bands are approximately 1 1/2 inches wide. So... I have a ways to go.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the way your blanket is turning out! It might feel like the project that lasts forever but I'm sure the finished product will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuck. eternal coffee stench in the car. i can't imagine what you're going through.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.