Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Because I can, apparently

I have a finished object to show you. A finished object none of you knew I was knitting. I haven't said a word about it. The whole time I was knitting it I kept thinking "Why am I knitting this?".

Apparently, I have a section of my brain wired to do things just to see if I am able to do them. Who knew?

So, here then, a knit item I will (probably) never use:

Pattern: Swallowtail Shawl from Interweave Knits Fall 2006
Yarn: (you may want to sit down for this one. trust me) Red Heart (see, I told you to sit down) Lustersheen in Ocean

How this came to be: I bought the yarn once upon a time with no project in mind. I don't remember why I bought it, or what I was thinking at the time. I decided earlier in the summer to try my hand at a shawl, but didn't want to spend money on nice yarn for it, just in case. Ta Dah!

Now, here's the amazing thing: We always are told that Acrylic WILL NOT BLOCK. However, (can you spot the knitter with the "I'm gonna try it anyway because you can't tell me what to do" attitude?) I'm here to tell you, you can block acrylic with steam.

Pre-blocking:

Post-blocking:


Who knew?!

I finished a project so now I can spin! (Apparently I have very strict rules for myself. Also, I'm a bit of a loon) I was at the dentist this morning and to entertain myself (and also to calm myself for the needle) I was mentally spinning, mentally dying fiber, mentally plying, mentally basking in the admiration of fiber enthusiasts from far and wide ... okay, not that last one. (see, bit of a loon)

Also, I had taken the morning off to go to the dentist (yay! aching jaw and freezing wearing off!) so I stopped at my usual LYS on my way to work, since I'm rarely able to get away from work in time to go there on a weekday. I picked up yarn to make a sweater jacket for my sister-in-law (she requested knits! she loves anything I've made for her and her boys!) so now I'm just thinking about that. I'll post progress pics as I go.

3 comments:

  1. The knitting gods may strike me down, but I kinda like Lustersheen. That's gotta be one drapey shawl, am I right? Mmmmmm. Nice job with the blocking! Who knew, indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a pretty patter! Nice job. Sometimes you just gotta knit for the sake of knitting. Will I ever wear it? Will I be able to block it into something useable? Who can I give this to for Christmas? It doesn't matter! Just keep knitting. That's always worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I never commented on this but that is a gorgeous shawl. Aren't they just sooo addictive in a I-love-this-shawl-that-I'll-never-wear kind of way?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.