Wednesday, December 28, 2005

reknitting. (will i EVER learn?)

Merry Week-Between-Christmas-and-New-Year's!!

(I guess I could also just say "Happy Holidays" but this whole hoopla about the appropriate holiday greeting is getting on my nerves. I promise I won't get into it. Let's just say that it doesn't bother me, as a Christian, one bit if you want to wish me "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Wednesday Evening" rather than use the word "Christmas". It doesn't take away from what I believe about the meaning of Christmas if you don't want to use the word. ehem. Sorry. I promised I wouldn't do that.)


You may remember the brown v-neck I knit myself a while ago. (and, really, why wouldn't you remember? really? I'm sure the goings on around here are upmost in your thoughts at most times)
(ehem. i had a very long boring day. sorry.)

Where was I? Right. Brown V-Neck (in case you want to catch up/understand what i'm on about: the post about it is here) which was WAY too short. Even a vicious blocking didn't make it long enough. I wore it anyway, but I was ALWAYS fighting with it.

I decided that once the Christmas knitting was done (well. the majority of the Christmas knitting, but let's not get into my distractability) I would attempt to re-knit the bottom of this sweater.

First I spent considerable time threading a piece of waste yarn through the round where I wanted to re-start my knitting. Then, I spent considerable time trying to undo the cast on row. Then, I tried to frog. You know how to frog. You just gently tug on the yarn end and the stitches come undone. Well, not in this case! I don't know if it is a quirk of frogging from the cast on edge or if it is the way I knit, but the yarn twisted around itself at each edge of the ribs in a way that made it impossible to just frog around. So, I did the unthinkable: I snipped one side of a stitch a couple of rounds below where my waste yarn was. I unknit around (sort of the opposite of grafting) and ended up with a round of live stitches on my waste yarn and a band of ribbing.

Then I put the live stitches (with the waste yarn still in them) back on my needle and knit. I ended up adding 3 inches in total length which brought the sweater to where it should have been in the first place!

Much much better.


  1. Ooh, it looks really pretty. I want one too!

  2. Great job!! What a great idea, you can be so ingenious! Impressive.


Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.