Saturday, March 15, 2008

Felted Stone Rug

I was going to hold off on posting this, but I put the pics up on Craftster and the response has been, well, enthusiastic. I love this project and just can't wait anymore.

**** COBI!! Do not read this post. Go play Flight of the Hamsters or something instead... ****

Is she gone? Okay.

Felted Stone Rug
Approximately 21" x 16"
Wool remnants, hand and machine felted, sewn together with nylon twine.

I got this idea from a post on Craftblog. They featured a rug made with larger felted stones and I loved how it looked. I dove right in and started making balls out of wool in my stash. I have/had all of these small bits of wool yarns, not enough to make something big, too much to toss (did you just have a chill at the thought of tossing yarn away?)(me too).

Felted Stone Rug

I started on it on March 3 (when the post on Craft appeared) and just finished sewing it together on Saturday, March 15. There was a lot of hit and miss with the felting. Some of the felting was done by hand, some in the washing machine. Some of the yarn didn't lose its definition completely, some is a solid mass. It's thick and cushy, the "stones" are different sizes and feel really good underfoot. Overall, I am really happy with it.

Felted Stone Rug

So happy, in fact, I want to keep it. You won't tell Cobi, right?

26 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God.

    That is the coolest damned thing EVER! I think I have to make one, like right this moment.

    Honestly, girl this is fabulous work

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! It really looks like small stones :) Wow you sure had lots of leftover wool!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow I saw that on the craft blog too!! Loving yours!! Guess I better move that up on the queue if it really is that good.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fantastic! - what a great idea for stash-busting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks like the most perfect rug to have under bear feet whilst reading a book with the window open in a sunbeam

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a fantastic rug!! Really awesome!! I want to make a really big one, but, that's a lot of wool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's this sort of thing that makes me love crafting and the internet.

    Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So. Fricken. AWESOME!!!

    Hear me, internet, I intend to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a clever idea!

    P.S. I'm so glad you're healing up quickly : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! This is really really cute! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really is fantastic! I've never tried felting, but I may need to start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is totally amazing, it looks SO good! I think I saw the same (original stone rug) artical at craftgossip and wanted one so bad, but never thought of actually tackling the project myself. Would love to see a tutorial from you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG - I love love love this rug!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please please please leave a link for how to make this! I would love love love to make it :) (and I can't find the info online)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Google Ronel Jordaan in south Africa and have a look at her felted rocks (they're huge) and her felted rock carpets, which are made to look like a river bed.

    Regards
    Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please sell these on etsy.com!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in love with this idea! What a beautiful rug. I think I'll give it a try using recycled wool skirts an sweaters. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is absolutely beautiful!! I linked to it from my needle-felting Facebook page :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I featured you today - Awesome job!

    Amanda
    www.todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't find the "how to" tutorial. Could you explain how you did the balls? I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Soooo Cooooo!!! It really does look like stones - LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a neat idea, I love this rug!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! May be the thing that pushes me into creating after years of hoarding supplies. Especially love for doing something special with beautifull yarn odds and ends inherited from grandmother. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the coolest rug I have ever seen! Thank you for the awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi I love your rug. Did you needle felt it all together or attach each stone onto a backing?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.