Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pieced Duvet Cover

2 days in a row! Wha?! I know!!

I bought this pack of precut 10x10 squares with a gift certificate from a local quilting store. It's Tonga Treat from Timeless Treasures in the "Coffee Cake" colorway (i think. I lost the label. oops)

IMG_1188

IMG_1189

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to do with it. I didn't want to waste any of the fabric. I knew I wanted to do a duvet cover or something that would get a lot of use. I finally had a flash of inspiration one morning when I woke up (does that happen to other people?) and decided to do strips of pieced fabric alternating with strips of a solid.

I cut each 10x10 piece into thirds and grouped the fabrics by lights & darks. I sewed these into strips, alternating light & dark. At first I planned to piece these on the seams but realized the individual cuts weren't all exactly the same length so, to save my sanity, I ended up offsetting the seams.

IMG_1364

IMG_1367

The solid is a sheet from Ikea (hence the matching pillow cases! woo!) and the back is made from another sheet. I really should have taken pictures of the process. I don't have much floor space in my apartment and sewing something this size is quite an operation. I needed to move my couch, plants, desk all as far out of the way as I could. My ironing board was in my kitchen, so that presented a challenge when my sewing time overlapped my need-to-eat something time.

DSCF1157

DSCF1160

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I like the fact it's a departure from my usual color palette (but it still has my beloved blues represented). Nice to check this one off my to-make list.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I've been wanting to make a bedspread from bandannas, and I'm thinking I could do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, the solid strips really work well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY cool! Great job! AND, I love the artwork above your bed. The design is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo very nice! the colored blocks are the size/shape of that subway tile that's so popular right now. I hate our duvet covers...you inspire me to sew something better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Love Love the idea of jazzing up linens from Ikea! Not sure I'm coordinated enough to pull this off but so glad to see your fantastic finished product :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I’ve been a lurker around your blog for a few months. I love this article and your entire site! Looking forward to reading more!
    bed runners

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.