Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Designer Appreciation - Veera Välimäki

If you knit and read blogs, chances are you are familiar with Veera Välimäki's designs. Her blog 100% Rain showcases her designs, which are modern, cozy and wearable.

(Note: It could be construed that the timing of this post is suspect. I was planning this salute to Veera's designs when I decided to get back into my blog. It is pure, happy coincidence that I happened to win a draw on her blog yesterday!)

Like many blog & Ravelry lurkers I initially succumbed to the call of the gorgeous garter striped shawl: Stripe Study.

Pattern: Stripe Study - Veera Välimäki
Yarn: Araucania Ranco Multy & Sandnes Garn Sisu (green/teal)
Date: May - June 2011 (yikes I'm behind on finished project posts!)

Stripe Study

Stripe Study

Stripe Study


Almost immediately after Stripe Study (in fact, according to my Ravelry notes, it was at the same time as the Stripe Study) I started Different Lines. I think this shawl/scarf has gotten more consistent use than anything I've knit in the past few years. The shape makes it a great neck warmer for cold Canada winters and the yarn is so soft.

Pattern: Different Lines - Veera Välimäki
Yarn: Sandnes Garn Sisu
Date: May 2011

Different Lines

Different Lines

Different Lines

The short-rows give it this shark fin shape which is really interesting.
Different Lines

Shortly after finishing Different Lines I, um... I knit another one. I have no defence other than to say it's a great pattern and I was smitten by the colors in the yarn I found. The Briggs & Little Sport is more "rustic" and is just the right amount of wooly-feeling for a slightly heavier version of this shawl. It's great for -30C mornings when it's windy & snowing. (It also matches my bedding)(and my down jacket)(I realize I have a color rut)

Pattern: Different Lines - Veera Välimäki
Yarn: Briggs & Little Sport
Date: June - July 2011

Different Lines

Different Lines

Note: I'm probably not done with Veera's striped shawls. I have Color Affection (just looking for the right yarn/color combination) and I wouldn't be surprised to find myself knitting another Different Lines at some point. Likely soon. In fact... *makes note to scan stash for potential Christmas gift yarns*

Veera doesn't just design addictive striped shawls, oh no. I fell HARD for her Water and Stone cardigan last winter. It took me probably 1.25 minutes after seeing it on her blog to ordering the pdf and then the yarn. This cardigan was worn at least twice a week (had to pace myself so I didn't wear it out) from the time it was finished until it was too warm to wear wool. I would definitely knit this one again.

Pattern: Water and Stone - Veera Välimäki
Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Sport - Ash
Date: December 2011 - February 2012

Water & Stone - Front

Water & Stone - front cable

Water & Stone - Back

Water & Stone

I have a few other Veera Välimäki patterns on my to-knit list but I should probably finish up some other in-progress knits first.

2 comments:

  1. I love these shawls HARD, have made one of the chevron ones and about ...hmmm five of the fin-shaped ones!!! Two words: ob. sessed.

    They've been mostly gifts for family, and are always well received, but did you see the 'varjo' photos on 100% rain? Positively gagging for that pattern to be released!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I love that last cardigan. And all of your pretty stripped shawls. :D You do some lovely work!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.