Saturday, September 29, 2007

Transformers Toque Pattern

IMG_0522

I sat down today and wrote out the pattern for the toque. I've put together a .pdf file with the instructions, pictures and charts. 

See 2023 update below

I'm trying out a file hosting site, so let's see how that works out...

Please let me know if this link isn't working. This is my first time using this hosting site and I'm not sure how well it will work yet.

Disclaimer: This pattern has not been test-knit. I wrote it up after the fact from memory, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

Please let me know if you knit one! I would love to see them.

I told the boy about posting the pictures and the response here and on Craftster and his big concern was that he wouldn't have a unique toque anymore. So I explained that each person will interpret the pattern/charts in their own way and each will be different. He still was concerned (jokingly so, I hope) so I assured him that NONE of the commenters would be from the Calgary area... Boys. So, dear friends, when you make your own Transformers toque, if you happen to be in the Calgary area, if you see the boy in the black & orange Transformers toque and you are wearing your own Transformers toque, do me a favour and hide yours? K? And tell him you like his...

Please feel free to email me at subloke AT hotmail DOT com if you have any questions about the pattern or have difficulty with my instructions...

August 30, 2023 Update: 

I haven't updated or even checked this blog for over 10 years so I missed some of the comments about the pattern link. I am not able to provide pattern assistance, as it has been almost 16 years since I knit the original toque and I have not revisited the pattern in at least 10 years. 

I have uploaded the pattern PDF to Google Drive and made it viewable to anyone with the link. I hope that you will enjoy knitting it if you give it a go. 

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pattern -- and don't worry, I'm not in Calgary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the pattern! It looks great - can't wait to knit this for my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that toque - I followed you here because it is featured on Craftster today. And I am in Calgary but it is beyond my skill set so if I see him I will just run up and gush over how cool his toque is while my husband stands jealously by and wishes he had a toque just like it.

    *melanie from www.meli-mello.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pattern has made it to Scotland! Just finished knitting it for my 4yr old . Had to modify it to reduce the depth a little but he is really pleased with it- thank-you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this pattern. I just finished one up for my nephew. I had to shrink the chart a bit for a smaller head but it still looks great. Up next is one for my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeee!

    My husband and I are huge Transformers fans, and I was hoping that maybe you might have the Decepticon insignia pattern as well, or tips on making one? I'd adore to adorn my knits with a pattern of these insignia, albeit a bit smaller. I'm thinking a scarf, or mittens, or maybe a snuggly throw for he, I, and the cats.

    Anywho, thanks for sharing this pattern! Glee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to knit this while watching the original Transformers!

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pattern! I'm working on one for myself*, and I've got one in the works for my brother, but instead of the charts you provided, I'm using a chart I have for his school's logo, and a supportive phrase. I just hope he appreciates the work that has gone into it so far, and the work that will go into it!

    I'll probably wind up having to make one for my friend Melz as well, but knowing her, she'll pick out purple and black, whereas I'm going with red and white...>.< Why must I be friends with a fragging 'Con?! *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI, do you think you could possibly make a decepticon version of that? I'm not that good at making my own patterns, so....anyway, if one of you make the decepticon toque PLEASE SEND ME THE PATTERN!No junk mail please

    Jemeraldragon@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! This is the perfect christmas gift for my husband! He's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its made it to New zealand, Im going to make this for my son (5yr old)who will then the the envy of his dad! love it thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! Im making one for my husband asap! thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to say thanks for the pattern. My son was sitting with me as I was looking for a new test knit and someone had recently finished this pattern. My son was so excited! He asked for a black and red one. I can't wait to go get the yarn. Don't worry we're moving to Germany but I'm sure your son has outgrown the hat anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Starting on this in bright pink and green.... :3 And seeing as I'm in Iowa, I don't think there's a chance that I'll be running into your son...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great design for the hat. My son has felt in love with it and now I'm ready to knit it for this winter. Thank you for Transformers' hat. Best wishes from Russia

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's funny, 'cause i'm in calgary! though i haven't seen this toque around town. thanks for the charts, i'm thinking using this for x-stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this one last year and I loved making it! I did one little change, I made two, one with autobots on both side in blue and red and one with decepticons on both sides in black and purple! Gave the autobots to my husband and the decepticons to my brother and they both LOVE them!! Everywhere they go in the winter time they get lots of compliments :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your pattern. My boys will be so happy! In are in the Province of Quebec. I am so excited to try this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this for my Son and he flipped out...the fact that it could
    Transform (turn it inside out) was too cool. I am now making one for the Soldier we adopted, he loves Transformers too. Thanks again for the great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I please the pattern please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is this pattern still available?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is the pattern still available? I have a 21 yo who would love it

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.