Wednesday, May 30, 2007
...got a brand new bag
I've had this bag percolating for a while now. Last week it all kind of clicked into place. Of course I was at work, so I had to wait a while to try it. It took an evening from start to finish, and although I have a bit of tweaking to do, I'm really happy with it.
Outer Fabric: Canvas remnants I found in the fabric section of Ikea. I'm guessing it's cotton or a blend, and probably is an upholstery type weight. I'm not sure the exact amount of fabric, as I forgot to measure it before I started cutting. I used exactly the amount of fabric i had! I have about a 2" x 3" scrap left over.
Lining Fabric: Unknown fiber remnant from my stash.
Bag dimensions: 13" wide x 12.5" high x 6" deep (plus handles)
The contrast stitching was an "oops" (I ran out of navy thread when I stitched the handles), but now that it's complete, I wish I had planned it that way, as I really like it. My sewing could have been more precise, but I was on a mission.
There are 4 patch pockets on the outside and 2 pockets in the lining: 1 zippered, one patch. The outer fabric was re-inforced with fusible interfacing in a medium-ish weight.
I've been using this as my work bag (replacing my nearly 10-year-old messenger style bag) for almost a week now. I really like it and I'm thinking I'll get a lot of use out of it. I may make another one (or five) with some more remnants I have from Ikea. If I ever get my butt in gear, I might try to sell them in my (so far empty) Etsy shop. Eventually.