Sunday, March 08, 2009

Lentil Soup

... in which I pretend to be a Foodie

Lentil soup

The conditions were perfect: We had a big dump of snow over night and it's cold (-15C/5F at 1:30 pm) so I wanted some warming soup, but I didn't have any soup in the apartment. I've been meaning to write down my recipe for Lentil Soup for my friend Sheri. The light was perfect in my kitchen... and I have a new camera (yippee) and wanted to play. So, my apologies, this one's picture heavy.

I don't remember where exactly I got the recipe, I couldn't find it in my cookbooks today when I was looking, so I just winged it. The quantities may need to be adjusted to suit your personal preferences.

Lentils
Bring 2 Cups red Lentils, water & chicken broth to a boil.

onion
Coarsely chop 1 small-medium onion.

olive oil
Heat 1 Tbsp olive (or vegetable/canola) oil in a skillet. Sautee onion & garlic and add spices.

spices
Add curry powder, corriander, cumin, crushed red pepper, garam masala (if available).

spices cooking
Cook spices, onions and garlic for 5 minutes.

Lentil Soup in pot
Stir in onions, garlic and spices. Cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup milk or light cream, stirring to combine. Let it cool for a bit, even though you'll be soooo hungry after smelling it cooking...

Lentil soup 2

The Recipe:

Lentil Soup
Combine in a large pot:
2 cups Red Lentils
4 cups water
4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water & 4 tsp chicken broth powder)
1/2 tsp cumin
Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Turn heat to low/medium-low as soon as it reaches a boil.

In a skillet heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil). Add:
1 small/medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp corriander
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala (I have it on hand so I threw it in today. I have made the soup without also)
1/2 tsp salt
Cook for 5 minutes then add to soup pot, stirring to combine.
Cook for 30-45 minutes over medium low heat. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup milk or light cream, stirring to combine.
Enjoy!

This was fun! I'm no Melanie but I can see why people get excited about taking pictures of food! I do have knitting and other things to share... Now that we've had the time change I'll be able to take pictures when I get home from work from time to time. So... I'll post knitting/spinning/weaving updates soon.

2 comments:

  1. I've made two batches of this stuff over the past two weeks. (The only difference is that I put I use vegetable broth, I put it all into the food processor at the end to make it creamy, and then I squirt lime juice into it right before serving.) Amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm.... looks delicious! I love lentil soup.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.