Sunday, June 15, 2008

New potential obsession... Block Printing

As I mentioned yesterday, I was inspired by Jesse to try my hand at block printing. If I end up spending all my money on blank cloth and block carving equipment, I point my finger in her direction... :D

vine print cloth
My first attempt. I mixed acrylic paint with a fabric medium specifically for use with acrylics.

vine print block
I used one of the wood blocks that I bought in Pakistan:

pakistani wood blocks

I bought these at Lok Versa, an artisan/craft fair in Islamabad, when I lived in Pakistan. I had watched people printing fabric for shalwar kameez's often while living in Pakistan, so I was excited to find some to purchase. I've tried using them to print on paper but was never happy with the results. I must say, I am so happy with the results on fabric. I don't know why I waited 6 years to try it!

paisley print cloth
Another attempt with the wood blocks. I'm not as happy with this one. The block with the squares that form a slight cross shape is not completely symmetrical so it was a bit difficult to get it straight. I think I needed to fill up more of the space altogether.

My favorite, which should come as shock to exactly no one, is this one:
leaf print cloth 1
Surprised by the color scheme? Yeah, me neither.

I used a potato to carve a leaf to print.
leaf print block
I didn't realize I had that little nick in the one side until I started printing with it, but after I finished, I actually liked the imperfection.

I need more fabric. And potatoes.

5 comments:

  1. these are so cool looking! i think i need to try it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great prints! Yup, the leaves are my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so great! I think I like the potato one the best. I may have to try that with the kids. Now when I become obsessed with it I can blame you :)

    I just added this link to my wists today
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Creating-cutting-and-printing-your-own-woodblock/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any craft that manages to incorporate potatoes is a good one in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of paint is it? I love this idea and I have a box of stamps & blocks...and perhaps a potato or two...

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.