Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Recycled Denim Quilt Top

The Boy (who, for those of you who don't know me, is not my son) gave me a stack of old jeans that he was going to give to Salvation Army. He thought I might want to make something out of them. He knows me pretty well by now...

As soon as I saw them I pictured a quilt top made from the jeans. At first I had planned to just cut large pieces and sew them together. As I kept looking at the pile I decided to try a more traditional pieced quilt top. I knew I wanted each block to be oversized, so I started cutting 4 1/2 inch wide strips and began piecing them in a Log Cabin block.

Recycled Jeans Quilt Top

I love how it turned out. It's both exactly what I was hoping for and way better than I had expected. I love how each pair of jeans contributed a different shade.

Now I need to work on my arm strength so I can finish it. This thing is H-E-A-V-Y! The finished quilt top is 80" x 80". I'm planning to make a quilt sandwich with a flannel sheet and a plain cotton backing. I think I'll end up tying it rather than attempting to machine quilt it. (see earlier comment re: weight of quilt and lack of arm strength)

Of course I have a The Boy comment about this project. When I was working on the blocks I had a stack of them on my sewing table. I pointed them out to the Boy and told him that's what became of the stack of jeans he had given me. He looked at them and said "Oh cool. What are you making? A dress?"

(he wasn't serious)(I hope)(the image of a majorly patchworked denim dress nearly did me in and I couldn't breathe for a while from the laughing)

8 comments:

  1. That is a seriously amazing quilt! I absolutely love it. I mean, I love everything you make, but this is especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Th Boy is a ham. That quilt is amazing, and I can only imagine that it weighs a tonne. I will think of you while you sandwich it and tie it (which is exactly what I would do too!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I want one!! And I just took all my "fat" jeans to the Salvation Army after losing 35 lbs. sob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is WOW. This is a beautiful quilt and I can hardly believe that it is from scraps - The Boy must have had a TON of jeans for you. Kudos it is absolutally beautiful! And I would totally tie it too, rather than quilting it...I have one denim quilt and I can't imagine trying to shove that thing around a machine and it would break my quilting hoop if I tried to hand quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy gorgeous! I love all of your work, but this might be my favorite!

    My brother had a denim comforter in high school - insanely heavy but wonderfully warm and soft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled across your blog tonight.. I think from a comment you left on Knit and Tonic. I was first in awe of your quilt and waiting to immediately start collecting denim and then your hexegon afghan almost had me in tears of memories past... So I read more of your blog. Entranced with your projects and what not. But, as I read I saw my story in your blog. I know that this all sounds creepy and everyone can see this. But I am a knitter, little quilter, weaver, spinner etc so I'm safe. But I could not find an email address for you. So I said, "Self, take the plunge and put yourself out there" So if you could email me at pennraebailey@charter.net I would like to share my story with you. I think that even as strangers we have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love how you've used the different shades of denim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently stumbled upon your blog and thought "hey, she's just like me! she makes all kinds of things..." and I totally love it. I pretty much read the whole thing and got lots of great ideas! So thank you.
    -cj

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.